Like every music lover I really missed my Maiden, Metallica, and Pantera tracks while I was on Solaris. One simple way to get xmms is to download it from blastwave.org. I wasnt too happy with blastwave.org cause they install many libraries that are already present on my box. So the only option left was to use java media player or totem that come by default on Solaris 11, or compile my fav player XMMS. I chose the latter. It turned out to be a very simple affair.
* Download sources from xmms.org [or direct link]
* Put gcc, make in the path (Can be found in these locations /usr/sfw/bin/gcc and /usr/ccs/bin/make)
* Unzip and untar. Change directory to xmms-
* Run configure with no options.
* Add this ( -I/usr/X11/include )include path to the line starting with 'INCLUDES = -I/usr/sfw/include/gtk-1.2 ...' in the file xmms/Makefile. It should look like 'INCLUDES = -I/usr/X11/include -I/usr/sfw/include/gtk-1.2 ...'
* The default installation location is /usr/local/,change it if you want by editing the Makefile and changing the variable called prefix.
* gmake;gmake install